- Other Names
- Teratoma-derived growth factor 1 (TDGF-1), Epidermal Growth Factor-Like Cripto Protein (CR1), Cripto-1 Growth Factor, CR, CRGF, CR-1
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
|777802||10 µg||115 CHF|
|777804||25 µg||205 CHF|
Cripto is a glycosylphosphatidylinositol (GPI)-anchored Type I cell membrane protein that belongs to the epidermal growth factor (EGF)-Cripto-1-FRL-1-Cryptic (CFC) family of proteins (EGF-CFC). In addition to Cripto, another three members of the EGF-CRC family have been described: Criptic, Xenopus FRL-1, and zebrafish one-eyed pinhead (0EP). Cripto contains a signal sequence, an EGF-like domain, a cysteine-rich region motif (CFC domain), and a hydrophobic COOH-terminus. Cripto plays an important role in maintaining embryonic stem cell pluripotency and tumorigenesis. Cripto acts as a co-receptor for Nodal, a TGFb family member that plays a crucial role in mesoderm and endoderm formation. Nodal and Cripto form complex with type I Activin receptors, Alk4/7 (ACVR1B/ACVR1C), and type II Activin receptors, ActRIIA/ActRIIB (ACVR2A/ACVR2B). Cripto is also known to bind Furin and Pace4 that process Nodal proteolytic maturation and supports Nodal signaling. A soluble form of Cripto is secreted by tumor cells and it lacks the GPI anchor region which is removed by GPI-phospholipase D. The soluble Cripto promotes endothelial cell migration and possibly tumor angiogenesis. More recent data showed that a GPI phospholipase A2 called post-glycosylphosphatidylinositol attachment to proteins 6 (PGAP6) in involved in the in the shedding of Cripto. PGAP6 produces Cripto bearing lyso-GPI which is released from the membrane, and subsequently Cripto is released from the lyso–GPI by GPI-phospholipase D. The action of PGAP6 regulates Nodal signaling.Product Details
- Human Cripto, amino acids Leu31 - Thr172 (Accession # AAH67844) was expressed in 293E cells. The carboxy-terminal contins TG-8His-GGQ tag.
- Molecular Mass
- The 155 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 17.4 kD. The DTT-reduced and non reduced protein migrates at approximately at 25 - 30 kD by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Leu.
- >95 %, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in DPBS, pH 7.2
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Recombinant human Cripto binds to immobilized recombinant human ALK4 ( at 1 µg/mL) in a dose dependent manner. The ED50 = 10 to 50 ng/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Mainly expressed during embryogenesis, embryonic stem cells, induced in pluripotent stem cells. Low expression in adult tissues, hematopoetic stem cells, mammary epithelial cells, adipose tissue, pancreas, and endometrium.
- Induces cell growth, migration, invasion, and epithelial to mesenchymal transition. Participates in tumorigenesis, cancer cell proliferation and survival.
- Interacts with Nodal, ALK4, Furin, PACE4, and GRP78.
- Co-receptor of Nodal, GDF1, and GDF3
- Measured by its ability to bind to human ALK4
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells, Cancer Biomarkers
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
- Ciccodicola A, et al. 1989. EMBO J. 8:1987.
- Beck S, et al. 2002. Nature Cell Biology. 4:981.
- Gray PC, et al. 2003. PNAS. 100: 5193.
- Xing PX, et al. 2004. Cancer Res. 64:4018.
- Watanabe K, et al. 2007. J Biol Chem. 282:35772.
- Blanchet MH, et al. 2008. EMBO J. 27:2580.
- Gray PC and Vale W, 2012. FEBs Letter. 586:1836.
- Lee GH, et al. 2016. J Cell Biol. 215:705.
- Zoni E, et al. 2017. Oncogene. 36:4739.
- Gene ID
- 6997 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Cripto on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.