- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Interleukin 21
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Interleukin 21 (IL-21) is a potent immunomodulatory cytokine mainly produced by NKT and CD4+ T-cells, particularly the inflammatory Th17 subset and has pleiotropic effects on both innate and adaptive immune responses. These actions include positive effects such as enhanced proliferation of natural killer (NK) cells and cytotoxic T cells that can destroy virally infected or cancerous cells and direct inhibitory effects on the antigen-presenting function of dendritic cells and can be proapoptotic for B cells and NK cells. Recent studies have shown that IL-21 is also an autocrine cytokine that potently induces Th17 differentiation and suppresses Foxp3 expression, and serves as a target for treating inflammatory diseases.Product Details
- E.coli, approximately 15.4 kD
- Lyophilized in sterile-filtered PBS, pH 7.2, containing 1% BSA, 0.09% sodium azide, and protease inhibitors.
- Lot-specific (please contact technical support for mass/vial, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Upon receipt, store unopened vials between 2°C and 8°C immediately and use within 12 months from date of receipt. Prior to use, reconstitute the lyophilized powder with 0.2 ml of PBS containing a carrier protein (e.g., 1% BSA, protease free), pH7.4. Re-cap vial, vortex. Allow the reconstituted standard to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, vortex again to mix completely. The reconstituted standard stock solution can be aliquoted into polypropylene vials and stored at -70°C for up to one month. Do not re-use diluted standards. Use a manual defrost freezer and avoid repeated freeze thaw cycles.
- Recommended Usage
Each lot of this protein is quality control tested by ELISA assay. For use as an ELISA standard, a standard curve comprised of doubling dilutions from 2000 pg/ml to 31.3 pg/ml is suggested. It is recommended that the reagent be titrated for optimal performance for each application.
- Application Notes
This IL-21 protein is useful as a standard for a human IL-21 sandwich ELISA, using unlabelled anti-IL-21 antibody, clone 3A3-N2 (catalog #513002) for capture and biotinylated 2B2-G20 (catalog #513102) antibody for detection.
- Cell Sources
- NK-T cells and T cells
- Cell Targets
- cytotoxic T cells (CTL) and Natural Killer (NK) cells, that can destroy malignant or infected cells
- Biology Area
- Stem Cells, Cell Biology, Immunology
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Nurieva R,et al. 2007. Nature 448:416.
2. Parrish-Novak J, et al. 2002. J. Leukocyte Biol. 72:856.
3. Dumoutier L, et al. 2000. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97:10144.
4. Asao H, et al. 2001. J. Immunol. 167:1.
5. Parrish-Novak J, et al. 2000. Nature 408:57.
- Gene ID
- 59067 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-21 on UniProt.org