- Other Names
- Simian sarcoma viral oncogene homolog, v-SIS, SSV, SIS, c-sis, PDGF2
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
PDGF-BB is a mitogen initially identified as simian sarcoma viral oncogene homolog. It belongs to the PDGF family which includes five members, PDGF-AA, PDGF-BB, PDGF-AB, PDGFCC, and PDGF-DD. PDGF-AA, AB, and BB dimers are processed intracellularly and secreted as active dimers that readily activate PDGF receptors (PDGFRs). PDGF CC and DD are secreted as full-length, latent dimers, and the proteolytic removal of a CUB domain is required for the growth factor domain of PDGF CC or DD to activate the PDGF receptors. PDGF-BB exerts its biological functions through the activation of dimeric receptors made up of two structurally similar protein-tyrosine kinase receptor subunits (αα-, αβ-, or ββ-PDGFR). PDGF has been characterized as a chemoattractant for vascular smooth muscle cells from both sheep and humans and also for canine tracheal myocytes. In cutaneous remodelling, studies ex vivo revealed that PDGF-BB is a mitogen and chemoattractant for dermal fibroblast. Abnormalities of PDGFR/PDGF are thought to contribute to a number of human diseases, and especially malignancy. Autocrine signalling as a consequence of PDGF-B overexpression is clearly implicated in the pathogenesis of dermatofibrosarcoma protruberans (DFSP).Product Details
- Human PDGF-BB, amino acids Ser82-Thr190 (NM_033016) was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 109 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of 12,294 Da. The DTT-reduced and the non-reduced protein migrate at approximately 13 and 37 KDa by SDS-PAGE respectively. The N-terminal amino acid is Serine.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in 29% acetonitrile, 0.1% TFA (trifluoroacetic acid).
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.01ng per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 = 1 - 5 ng/ml as determined by the dose dependent stimulation of NHI 3T3 mouse cell proliferation.
- Application Notes
This PDGF-BB protein is biologically active, and can be used for in vitro assays
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Banerjee, P., et al. 2011. J. Biol Chem. 23:33580. PubMed.
- Product Citations
PDGF-B is mainly expressed in vascular endothelial cells, megakaryocytes, and neurons.
- PDGF-BB regulates diverse cellular processes, including cell proliferation, transformation, migration, survival, and apoptosis of mesenchymal cells, in development and during pathogenesis.
- Mesenchymal-derived cells
- αα-PRGFR, αβ-PDGFR, and ββ-PDGFR
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells, Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors, Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Angiogenesis, Cell Biology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Cell Markers, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Cytokines/Chemokines, Growth Factors
- Antigen References
1. Carlin SM, et al. 2003 Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 284:L1020-L1026.
2. Ustach CV, et al. 2005 Mol Cell Biol 25:6279-6288.
3. Jones AV, Cross NC, et al. 2004 Cell Mol Life Sci. 61:2912-2923.
4. Andrae J, et al. 2008 Genes Dev. 22:1276-1312.
- Gene ID
- 5159 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about PDGF-BB on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.