- Other Names
- Adipogenesis Inhibitory Factor (AGIF)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
IL-11, a member of the IL-6 family of cytokines, exerts a wide range of biological effects on various cell types including hematopoietic cells, hepatocytes, adipocytes, neurons, and osteoblasts. IL-11 works synergistically with other growth factors including SCF, IL-4, IL-3, IL-7, IL-12, IL-13, and GM-CSF to stimulate the proliferation of cells from several hematopoietic lineages. Binding of IL-11 to IL-11 receptor (IL-11R) induces membrane bound gp130 homodimerization and triggers STAT3 phosphorylation by JAK. IL-11 shares the common receptor subunit gp130 with IL-6, IL-27, LIF, OSM, CNTF, CT-1, CLC, and NP. Female mice deficient in IL-11R revealed an important role for IL-11 in embryonic implantation. In addition, IL-11 shows anti-inflammatory activity in models of inflammatory bowel disease, chemotherapy induced oral mucositis, and inflammatory arthritis. IL-11 and IL-13 are highly expressed in asthmatic airways (Th2 response). IL-11 can inhibit Th1 responses and the production of Th1 cytokines such as IL-12, shifting inflammation in Th2 direction. Elevated IL-11 expression is associated with tumor grade and invasion in gastric cancer. Recombinant human IL-11 has been clinically approved to improve platelet recovery after chemotherapy-induced thrombocytopenia.Product Details
- Human IL-11, amino acids Pro22-Leu199 (Accession# P20809.1), was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 179 amino acid N-terminal methionylated recombinant protein has a prodicted molecular mass of 19.1 kD. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 is ≤ 2.0 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of ≥ 5.0 x 105 units/mg as determined by the dose-dependent stimulation of the proliferation of murine T11 cells.
- Application Notes
This product is reactive with human and mouse.
- IL-11 can be secreted by various cell types including epithelial, endothelial, keratinocytes, stromal, neuronal, fibroblasts, osteoclasts, and bone marrow stromal cells.
- IL-11, a multifunctional cytokine, plays important roles in hemopoiesis, thrombopoiesis, megakaryocytopoiesis, and bone resorption; It regulates macrophage differentiation and confers mucosal protection after chemotherapy and radiation therapy. IL-11 expression can also be up-regulated by oncogenic Ras or respiratory virus infections. IL-11 and IL-11Rα are induced by IL-13.
- Hematopoietic cells, hepatocytes, adipocytes, neurons, osteoblasts, fibroblasts, and gastrointestinal epithelial cells.
- Membrane bound or soluble IL-11Rα heterodimerize with gp130β.
- Cell Type
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Immunology, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Putoczki T and Ernst M. 2010. J. Leukoc. Biol. 88:1109.
2. Wilde MI and Faulds D. 1998. BioDrugs 10:159.
3. Barton VA. 2000. J. Biol. Chem. 275:36197.
4. Robb L, et al. 1998. Nat. Med. 4:303.
5. Lemoli RM, et al. 1995. Br. J. Haematol. 91:319.
6. Elias JA, et al. 1994. J. Biol. Chem. 269:22261.
7. Chen Q, et al. 2005. J. Immunol. 174:2305.
- Gene ID
- 3589 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about IL-11 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.