- Other Names
- SLIT3, SLIL2, Slit homolog 3, Multiple epidermal growth factor-like domans 5, MEGF5, KIAA0814, Slit guidance ligand 3
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Avail.||Save|
Slit glycoproteins are highly conserved large secreted axon guidance molecules. Slits and their Roundabout (ROBO) receptors were originally identified as important repulsive axon guidance molecules during the neural development. There are three Slit proteins (Slit1-3) in the mammalian family which show both overlapping and distinct expression patterns. Slit1 and Slit2 are expressed prominently in the central nervous system. In contrast, Slit3 is widely expressed in central nervous system and peripheral tissues and organs including lung, kidney, skeletal muscle, and heart. Slit1 and Slit2 are essential for midline guidance in the forebrain by acting as repulsive signal to axons projecting from the olfactory bulb during neural development, whereas Slit3 is dispensable. However, mice with genetically disrupted Slit3 show abnormalities in diaphragm and kidney development indicating that Slit3 is an important regulator of non-neuronal developmental processes. In addition, Slit3 is expressed by vascular endothelial cells and smooth muscle cells and its interaction with ROBO receptors mediates Slit3-induced angiogenesis which plays important role during organogenesis in mammalian development.Product Details
- Human Slit-3, amino acids Ser1121-Ser1523 (Accession # O75094) with a C-terminal 8x His tag was expressed in 293E cells.
- Molecular Mass
- The 416 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 45 kDa. The DTT-reduced and non-reduced proteins migrate at approximately 55 kDa by SDS-PAGE. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Ser.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS, pH 7.2
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 1.0 EU per µg protein as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.)
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Immobilized protein enhances neurite outgrowth at 1.1 - 10 µg/mL.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
Widely expressed in central nervous system and peripheral tissues and organs including lung, kidney, skeletal muscle, and heart.
- Endothelial cells, Neurons
- ROBO-1, ROBO-4
- Measured by the ability of immobilized human Slit-3 to enhance neurite outgrowth from E18 rat cortical neurons.
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Neuroscience, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
1. Brose K, et al. (1999) Cell 96:795-806.
2. Kidd T, et al. (1999) Cell 96:785-94.
3. Wu W, et al. (1999) Nature 400:331-6.
4. Stein E, et al. (2001) Science 291:1928-38.
5. Bagri A, et al. (2002) Neuron 33:233-48.
6. Plump AS, et al. (2002) Neuron 33:219-32.
7. Grieshammer U, et al. (2004) Dev. Cell 6:709-17.
8. Zhou WJ, et al. (2013) Nature 501:107-11.
9. Rama N, et al. (2015) Nat. Med. 21:483-91.
- Gene ID
- 6586 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about Slit-3 on UniProt.org
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.