- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Interleukin-4, B-cell stimulating factor-1 (BSF-1), Ia inducing factor (IaIF), Hodgkin's cell growth factor (HCGF), Mast cell growth factor-2 (MCGF-2), Macrophage fusion factor (MFF), T cell growth factor-2 (TCGF-2)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
IL-4 is a member of the short four-helix bundle family of cytokines. IL-4 is produced by Th2 cells in response to antigen receptor engagement. Dendritic cells can prime naïve CD4+ T cell; nevertheless, it has been described that dendritic cell mediated priming is insufficient for the development of Th2 cell-dependent immunity. Basophils have been identified as a source of IL-4 in the initial naïve CD4+ T cell priming. These cells coexpress MHC class II and IL-4 following helminth infection. Therefore, murine basophils could present antigens to naïve T cells, thus promoting Th2 cell differentiation during allergic and anti-parasitic immune responses. In addition, it was previously known that upon cross-linkage of the high affinity receptor for immunoglobulin E, IL-4 is produced by NK cells, mast cells, and basophils. Cells of hematopoietic stem cell origin express the type I receptor for IL-4 (IL-4Ra, γc), and cells of non-hematopoietic stem cell origin express type II receptor (IL-4Ra, IL-13Ra1). Type I receptor complexes are active in regulating Th2 development. In contrast, the type II receptor complex is active in regulating cells that mediate airway hypersensitivity and mucus secretion.Product Details
- Mouse IL-4, amino acids His23-Ser140 (Accession# NM_021283), was expressed in 293E cells using human IL-2 signal peptide.
- Molecular Mass
- The 118 (His23-Ser140) amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of 13.3 kD.
- >95%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- 0.22 µm filtered protein solution is in PBS.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.01 ng per µg cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
- 10 and 25 µg sizes are bottled at 200 µg/mL. 100 µg size and larger sizes are lot-specific and bottled at the concentration indicated on the vial (please contact technical support for concentration, or use our Lookup tool if you have a lot number.) Please note, new lots of the 100 µg size will be lot-specific and may differ from previous lots that had a fixed concentration.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to 2 weeks, at -20°C for up to six months, or at -70°C or colder until the expiration date. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. The protein can be aliquoted and stored at -20°C or colder. Stock solutions can also be prepared at 50 - 100 µg/mL in appropriate sterile buffer, carrier protein such as 0.2 - 1% BSA or HSA can be added when preparing the stock solution. Aliquots can be stored between 2°C and 8°C for up to one week and stored at -20°C or colder for up to 3 months. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
ED50 = 0.3 - 1.8 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of 0.55 - 3.3 x 106 units/mg, as determined by CTLL-2 cell proliferation induced by mouse IL-4 in a dose dependent manner.
ED50 = 0.6 - 3.6 ng/mL as measured by its ability to induce proliferation of HT-2 cell in a dose dependent manner.
The specific activity of recombinant mouse IL-4 is approximately 1.54 x 104 IU/µg when compared against the Non WHO Reference Material for Murine Interleukin-4 (NIBSC code: 91/656) as determined by the dose dependent stimluation of CTLL-2 cell proliferation.
For more information on specific activity, please visit the Recombinant Protein Unit Conversions page.
- Application Notes
BioLegend carrier-free recombinant proteins provided in liquid format are shipped on blue-ice. Our comparison testing data indicates that when handled and stored as recommended, the liquid format has equal or better stability and shelf-life compared to commercially available lyophilized proteins after reconstitution. Our liquid proteins are verified in-house to maintain activity after shipping on blue ice and are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you have any concerns, contact us at email@example.com.
- Additional Product Notes
Get a 50% discount on this product when purchased in our Activation Bundles. Restrictions apply. Learn more…
(PubMed link indicates BioLegend citation)
- Product Citations
IL-4 is produced by Th2 cells, NK T cells, mast cells, basophils, eosinophils, and macrophages.
- T cells, B cells, mast cells, monocytes, macrophages, fibroblast, and endothelial cells
- Type I receptor complex (IL-4Rα, γc) and type II receptor complex (IL-4Rα, IL-13Rα1)
- Cell Type
- Embryonic Stem Cells, Hematopoietic stem and progenitors
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Immunology, Signal Transduction, Stem Cells
- Molecular Family
- Antigen References
1. Chen. L, et al. 2004. J. Immunol. 172:2059.
2. Maroof A, et al. 2006. Immunology 117:271.
3. Sharma P, et al. 2008. Immunity 29:551.
4. Heller NM, et al. 2008. Sci. Signal 1:ra17.
5. LaPorte SL, et al. 2008. Cell 132:259.
6. Perrigoue JG, et al. 2009. Nat. Immunol. 10:697.
7. Schneider E, et al. 2010. Eur. Cytokine Netw. 21:142.
8. Leavy O. 2011. Nat. Rev. Immunol. doi:10.1038/nri2908.
- Gene ID
- 16189 View all products for this Gene ID
- Specificity (DOES NOT SHOW ON TDS):
- Specificity Alt (DOES NOT SHOW ON TDS):
- View information about IL-4 on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)