- Regulatory Status
- Other Names
- Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor, Astrocyte-derived trophic factor (ATF)
- Ave. Rating
- Submit a Review
- Product Citations
|Cat #||Size||Price||Quantity Check Availability||Save|
Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a member of the TGF-β superfamily and was first identified as a growth factor supporting the survival of embryonic midbrain neurons. GDNF has been shown to promote the development, differentiation, and survival of dopaminergic neurons by signaling through GDNF family receptor α-1 (GFRα1) and the coreceptor Ret receptor tyrosine kinase. Dysregulated expression of GDNF has been reported to be associated with several mental diseases, including depression and schizophrenia. GDNF is considered as a promising therapeutic agent for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, since GNDF can protect dopaminergic neurons from neurotoxin and promotes neuron regeneration after injury. In addition to the functions in the nervous system, GDNF is also required for the differentiation of spermatogonia and development of kidney. Upregulated expression of GNDF was observed in various cancer cell lines and correlates with malignant cancer progression, suggesting a role of GDNF in carcinogenesis.Product Details
- Human GDNF, amino acids (Ser78 - Ile211) (Accession# NP_000505.1) with an N-terminal Met, was expressed in E. coli.
- Molecular Mass
- The 135 amino acid recombinant protein has a predicted molecular mass of approximately 15.0 kD. Recombinant human GDNF forms a a disulfide-linked homodimer. The predicted N-terminal amino acid is Met.
- >98%, as determined by Coomassie stained SDS-PAGE.
- Lyophilized, carrier-free.
- Endotoxin Level
- Less than 0.1 ng per µg of protein.
- Storage & Handling
- Unopened vial can be stored at -20°C or -70°C. For maximum results, quick spin vial prior to opening. Reconstitute in water to a concentration of 0.1-1.0 mg/ml. Do not vortex. It is recommended to further dilute in a buffer, such as 5% Trehalose, and store in working aliquots at -20°C to -80°C. Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- ED50 ≤0.1 ng/ml, corresponding to a specific activity of ≥ 1.0 x 107 units/mg, as measured by its ability to stimulate proliferation of rat C6 cells in a dose dependent manner.
- Application Notes
This product is reactive with human, mouse, and monkey.
- Growth factor
- GDNF is a secreted protein and is widely expressed in the developing and adult central nervous system.
- GDNF is a neurotrophic factor, promoting the development, differentiation, and survival of dopaminergic neurons. GNDF participates in the recovery processes after brain injury.
- GDNF targets the neuronal cells expressing GDNF family receptors.
- GDNF interacts with GDNF family receptor α-1 (GFRα1). Lower affinity with GFRα2, GFRα3, and GFRα4.
- Recombinant human GDNF is able to induce proliferation of rat C6 cells.
- Cell Type
- Neural Stem Cells, Embryonic Stem Cells
- Biology Area
- Cell Biology, Cell Motility/Cytoskeleton/Structure, Neuroscience, Stem Cells, Synaptic Biology
- Molecular Family
- Growth Factors, Cytokines/Chemokines
- Antigen References
1. Allen SJ, et al. 2013. Pharmacol. Ther. 138:155.
2. Hendrich J, et al. 2012. Neuroscience. 219:204.
3. Hidalgo-Figueroa M, et al. 2012. J. Neurosci. 32:864.
4. Pascual A, et al. 2011. J. Mol. Endocrinol. 46:83.
5. Carnicella S, et al. 2009. Pharmacol. Ther. 122:9.
6. Sariola H, et al. 2003. J. Cell. Sci. 116:3855.
- Gene ID
- 2668 View all products for this Gene ID
- View information about GDNF on UniProt.org
- Why choose BioLegend recombinant proteins?
• Each lot of product is quality-tested for bioactivity as indicated on the data sheet.
• Greater than 95% Purity or higher, tested on every lot of product.
• 100% Satisfaction Guarantee for quality performance, stability, and consistency.
• Ready-to-use liquid format saves time and reduces challenges associated with reconstitution.
• Bulk and customization available. Contact us.
• Learn more about our Recombinant Proteins.
- How does the activity of your recombinant proteins compare to competitors?
We quality control each and every lot of recombinant protein. Not only do we check its bioactivity, but we also compare it against other commercially available recombinant proteins. We make sure each recombinant protein’s activity is at least as good as or better than the competition’s. In order to provide you with the best possible product, we ensure that our testing process is rigorous and thorough. If you’re curious and eager to make the switch to BioLegend recombinants, contact your sales representative today!
- What is the specific activity or ED50 of my recombinant protein?
The specific activity range of the protein is indicated on the product datasheets. Because the exact activity values on a per unit basis can largely fluctuate depending on a number of factors, including the nature of the assay, cell density, age of cells/passage number, culture media used, and end user technique, the specific activity is best defined as a range and we guarantee the specific activity of all our lots will be within the range indicated on the datasheet. Please note this only applies to recombinants labeled for use in bioassays. ELISA standard recombinant proteins are not recommended for bioassay usage as they are not tested for these applications.
- Have your recombinants been tested for stability?
Our testing shows that the recombinant proteins are able to withstand room temperature for a week without losing activity. In addition the recombinant proteins were also found to withstand four cycles of freeze and thaw without losing activity.
- Does specific activity of a recombinant protein vary between lots?
Specific activity will vary for each lot and for the type of experiment that is done to validate it, but all passed lots will have activity within the established ED50 range for the product and we guarantee that our products will have lot-to-lot consistency. Please conduct an experiment-specific validation to find the optimal ED50 for your system.
- How do you convert activity as an ED50 in ng/ml to a specific activity in Units/mg?
- Use formula Specific activity (Units/mg) = 10e6/ ED50 (ng/mL)